I think I may have underestimated loons.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always liked them a lot. There are so many reasons including:
- That striking pattern on their backs
- The banding on their necks
- Their surprising size when you get closer
- The boldly dark heads with the striking red eyes
- An ability to keep warm in cool water
- And of course there’s that famous call of the loon
When I think of loons, my mind goes back to a glass-calm lake reflecting a a gorgeous northern sunset. We were quietly paddling through the lake while listening to loons calling out from either side. It is a fond memory that I will keep forever.
On top of all that, it occurred to me that loons have yet another remarkable trait that even humans would do well to mimic.
Loons quietly go about their business, draw no attention to themselves and don’t even make a sound until they have something profound and beautiful to say.
I wonder if someone could teach that to geese?